We thought it would be nice to start by giving an overview of our adoption centre.
Bridgend Adoption Centre is one largest purpose built adoption centre in the UK, we are based in Bryncethin, near Bridgend in South Wales. The centre was officially opened 17th Sept 1994 and further extended in 2000. We have a team of 17 staff and 50 volunteers carrying and out various roles including cat caring, fostering, grooming, socialisation, reception, and DIY.
Our centre consists of
- 41 homing pens - for ready to home cats and kittens.
- 48 Admission pens - for new arrivals at the centre for their first week in our care.
- 14 Maternity pens - for mums and their kittens up to weaning age.
- 8 Isolation pens - for sick cats and kittens suffering with infectious diseases.
- 6 Wooden pens and lodge - these are large units used to house cats showing signs of stress in the smaller indoor pens.
Homing corridor and homing pens, pens also have external runs accessible via cat flaps
|External back runs for holding & maternity corridors, and wood lodge|
Our centre can hold over 150 cats and kittens
when full to capacity. Our busiest time
of year is during kitten season which generally runs from May - November, during these months we can have over 100 kittens in our care at any one time. The centre is always full to capacity, we have to operate a waiting list to bring unwanted cats and kittens into our care. The average waiting time is 4 - 6 weeks but can be as long as 3 - 4 months the height of kitten season.
Our adoption centre is the top homing Cats Protection Centre in the UK. In the last 5 years we have homed over 6400 cats and kittens, an average of 1280 every year.
The success of the centre wouldn't be possible without the brilliant team of staff and volunteers.
Please stay tuned in for real life stories of the cats which come into our care and the day to day work of the team at the centre.
Purrs for now!